Please write a response and summary for one or two of the remaining articles in your theme. You may want to combine the summary and response as suggested by your textbook on pages 26 and 27. Also, I encourage you to use a summary grid like the one introduced on pages 24 and 25 (you cannot upload a picture or table to this blog, but you can simply use bullet lists). Either way, make sure that both the summary and response conform to the criteria listed in your textbook on pages 14 and 20:
- 1) acknowledge the original author and/or source
- 2) include only the most important information
- 3) write only a paragraph (thesis and main points)
- 4) paraphrase any information that comes from the original writing
- 5) be objective (not subjective)
- 1) Responses are subjective.
- 2) Responses vary in content, drawing from personal experience, applications, agreement or disagreement, and other types of responses.
- 3) Responses vary in length.
You may want to paraphrase something for your summary. If so, please use the criteria for a good paraphrase that are found on page 6:
- 1) It has the same meaning as the original.
– all main ideas and no new ideas
- 2) It is different enough from the original.
– not more than 4 words in a row from the original source
– changes vocabulary and grammar as much as possible
- 3) It cites or refers to the original.
– name or author and/or name of source
If you have any questions, please post them here.